An ambitious agenda
TIQ is responsible for delivering the 22 initiatives in the whole-of-government Advancing Trade and Investment – Queensland Trade and Investment Strategy 2017–2022, which is supported by $35 million in new funding over five years.
TIQ developed the T&I Strategy through analysis of Queensland’s competitive strengths, a review of existing trade and investment services and initiatives across the Queensland Government, and extensive consultation with public and private-sector stakeholders.
The T&I Strategy provides an ambitious agenda designed to drive economic growth and job creation by coordinating trade and investment initiatives that deliver outcomes across the state. Its initiatives are grouped into six policy themes:
- Developing future leaders
- Improving the client experience
- Supporting businesses
- Strengthening the regions
- Expanding our international presence
- Promoting Queensland globally.
Key milestones during 2017–18 included:
- launching the Emerging International Business Leaders and Internships Program initiatives (under the ‘Developing Future Leaders’ banner), which provide international career development opportunities for Queensland’s future business leaders
- integrating the Industry-led Trade Missions initiative into TIQ’s ongoing operations by collaborating with qualified industry groups to deliver targeted trade missions for new and emerging industry sectors and established sectors seeking new markets
- establishing the TIQ North Queensland office, located in Townsville, supporting North Queensland businesses
- delivering ecommerce training to businesses across Queensland
- signing a memorandum of understanding between the Queensland Government and the Local Government Association of Queensland to enhance the support and training provided to local governments’ trade and investment activities
- strengthening TIQ’s Singapore office to increase Queensland businesses’ export and investment success in the ASEAN market
- establishing the Australian Silver Industry Group aged-care business consortium to leverage opportunities in the Asian market
- integrating the Showcase Events initiative into TIQ’s ongoing operations, including targeted funding for attendance at major international trade events (eg Food and Hotel Asia in April 2018) to build Queensland’s export capacity and attract foreign direct investment.
A copy of the T&I Strategy can be found at www.tiq.qld.gov.au/ti-strategy