Expressions of interest are now open for the IBA program 2020
TIQ’s International Business Advisory Program connects ambitious Queensland exporters with business mentors in international markets.
The program offers short placements in TIQ overseas offices to enable SME staff to learn new skills, build new partnerships and become familiar with an international market.
- access to senior business leaders and their networks
- expert market advice and guidance relevant to your sector
- 4 mentoring sessions of up to 2 hours each, by phone or video
- a rare and cost-effective way to fast-track your export learning curve.
The International Business Advisory Program is 1 of the 22 initiatives of the Advancing Trade and Investment – Queensland Trade and Investment Strategy 2017–2022.
The following guidelines apply to the 2020 program and include information on:
To qualify, your Queensland business must:
- have a trading history of a minimum of 3 years and be deemed export-ready by TIQ
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- have fewer than 200 employees
- have Queensland headquarters or significant Queensland operations.
The program will provide Queensland businesses with access to an experienced individual in their targeted export market, relevant to their sector, who will share their expertise and advice with the business to achieve specific export goals.
The mentor’s market knowledge, access to networks and government resources are intended to assist companies to progress opportunities, tailor export-development activities to market and navigate potential barriers.
Benefits to Queensland participants include:
- a low-cost offering to access an accomplished senior mentor in-market
- valuable insights directly from sector/market experts
- increased international market exposure for your business
- widened networks and support from both the mentor and the Queensland Government to progress export goals.
Queensland businesses applying for the mentoring program should have a rationale for choosing their target market for export and should have already undertaken a reasonable amount of research to support their export interests. This should be outlined in the application form.
Mentees should be prepared to actively undertake export development research and activities during the 6-month mentoring period to be able to maximise the advice and support available through the mentors.
During onboarding, the mentee, mentor and TIQ will develop a short project plan, including goals and milestones, to be signed by all parties.
Undertaking a visit to the market during or shortly after the mentoring sessions is highly recommended and a visit program would be supported by the TIQ office in-market.
Following the 6-month mentoring program, mentees will be required to provide TIQ with a short program report summarising the export-development research and activities undertaken during their participation in the program.
The report will also include a summary of how the mentoring program has benefited the business to further their export interests.
The participating Queensland business is required to provide TIQ with details of market achievements for 3 years following their participation in the program to measure the effectiveness of the program and to discuss any further assistance TIQ may be able to provide.
Queensland businesses may be requested to provide information to TIQ for marketing purposes before, during and after the program.
The participating businesses may be surveyed within 12 months of completion of the project.
A selection panel will be convened for each market, comprising representatives from within TIQ and from external organisations. The panel will review applications and select Queensland businesses based on the following criteria:
- compatibility with the priorities of TIQ and the Queensland Trade and Investment Strategy
- market fit
- market demand.
Queensland businesses may be interviewed by the panel if required and 2 businesses will be selected for each market.
For more information phone +61 7 3514 3022 or email us at email@example.com.