The Queensland Trade and Investment Strategy 2017–2022 has reached major milestones in its first year-and-a-half, with almost 90% of initiatives underway by the end of 2018.
Launched in April 2017, the Strategy contains 22 initiatives designed to increase Queensland’s exports and attract new overseas investment.
As at 31 December 2018, 19 of the initiatives had passed the pilot phase or been implemented in full.
Strategy highlights so far include:
- launching the Queensland-India Trade and Investment Strategy in Bangalore
- opening an expanded TIQ office in Singapore
- completing the Australian Silver Industry Group consortium mission to China, led by Steve Bredhauer and David Lane, and signing a comprehensive MOU with the Beijing Association of Senior Care Industries
- launching the Developing Future Leaders Program, with 2 graduates and 2 small businesspeople sent to TIQ international offices to gain market knowledge and a cultural understanding of key trading partners
- delivering 8 export workshops as part of Investment Training for Regional SMEs
- appointing a new trade and investment commissioner to lead an expanded TIQ Jakarta team
- releasing the first international market report, Mining India’s METS opportunities, with a second report scheduled for release this year
- publishing the new trade and investment strategy microsite as part of the Enhanced Digital Services initiative.
TIQ interim Chief Executive Officer Paul Martyn said the $35 million strategy would continue to make strong progress in 2019, with an expanded suite of training for regional businesses, a second round of the Developing Future Leaders program, greater insights for Queensland businesses through further international market reports, and improved digital services for TIQ’s clients.
‘I’m proud of the hard work that has been done so far to deliver on this important whole-of-government strategy to boost Queensland trade and investment outcomes,’ Mr Martyn said.
‘There’s still much work to be done to position Queensland strongly in the global market we’re competing in and take our innovative products and services to the world.’
To stay up to do date with all the Strategy news and stories, visit the Queensland Trade and Investment Strategy website.